As the heat gradually reduces and you feel the cold breeze, it is also time for you to prepare your landscaping ideas and tools in order to get the garden ready for the change of season– the coming of winter. There is a long list of things to do in order to prepare your plants for the cold season so you can have blooming flowers as spring approaches.
It is essential that gardeners always monitor their landscape during autumn and there are few tips to follow on how one can maintain their health of their plants.
- Rake is an important tool to keep your garden healthy especially during autumn. If you fail to rake dried leaves, then you can attract more insects and pests to your garden. Also it is definitely unpleasant to look at a garden filled with dried leaves.
Rake them and make sure to put them in a bin. This could be your compost that you can later mix with the soil, in order to give the soil the nutrients it needs.
- Aerating your soil would be perfect at this time. This will prepare your soil for the cold temperature and snow storms. Through this, water is absorbed properly by the plants for nutrients. Aeration will prevent compaction of the soil and provide a good drainage system as the winter approaches.
- Fall is also the perfect time for the planting. Planting your spring bulb is ideal on this season. It will help establish roots and bear fruits by spring or summer. Also plant your shrubs and small trees.
- Remove the dead flowers, leaves or stems. The plants that have bloomed in summer will start to wither and die. By removing this, your garden will look fresh and healthy when fall comes.
- Take care of the lawn. It is essential that fertilizer and water is sprinkled on the lawn in order to condition it for the season. This will keep your lawn green and healthy.
- Make sure to check your plants for diseases and pests. Make sure to be keen and check every part of your plant if there is yellowing or wilting so you can immediately tend to its needs. If not tended, this could damage your other plants further.
- It is essential that your plants get enough nutrients from the soil. To achieve this, the soil should be mixed with compost and mulch. Compost will give the nutrients while the mulch will retain the moisture in the soil. Make sure to give all the nutrients your flowers and plants need for their survival.
- Pruning is applicable. Excess branches can be pruned so they have time to grow before winter arrives. Make sure to prune them properly.
- Make sure your drainage system is ready for winter. If there are certain parts of the garden that snow accumulates more, then you should fix it. Once the snow melts and your drainage does not work, there would be pooling of water that could drown the nearby plants. So make sure to check all your drainage system if they are working properly.
The tips mentioned above are all essential for the maintenance of the beauty of your landscape and garden when autumn arrives. This is also a preparation for the coming winter.
As a gardener, you should prioritize the health of your plant before anything else. This could help your greenery survive and grow again for spring.
Planting in fall is also ideal just make sure to choose plants that can survive the extreme temperature. You can also cover up your plants in order to protect them and make sure it is properly done. As the season changes, it is important that you prepare your garden for the changing of temperature so you can have blooming and lush plants for next year.